Monday, December 14, 2009

Holiday Wine Party

For the past several years I have hosted a holiday wine party, but this was the first year to have the party in my new hometown of Sonoma!  Fourteen of us gathered to sample fabulous wines and an assortment of finger foods, some provided by me, some brought by my wonderful guests.  Note:  I realize that a food blog is supposed to have delectable pictures of party food, but alas!  When I host and cook and mingle, I sometimes forget to snap pics, and that’s exactly what I did this time! It's my only disappointment from an otherwise delightful evening!


Our lovely spread included my favorite holiday party dish of all time (I make it every year), Baked Semolina Gnocchi with Sage (http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/baked-semolina-gnocchi-with-sage); another favorite of mine, Warm Camembert with Wild Mushroom Fricassee (http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/warm-camembert-with-wild-mushroom-fricassee); Citrouille au Jambon de Bayonne or Pumpkin with Bayonne Ham, from Joanne Harris & Fran Warde’s The French Market cookbook (I substituted prosciutto for the ham); and my own tweaked version of Spinach Balls.  Guests brought lovely cheese and charcuterie platters.  And we enjoyed an amazing Caviar Torte, which paired perfectly with the sparkling wines, prepared by my friend and fellow blogger Bon Vivant (http://myculinaryadventures.blogspot.com/).  And last but not least, a remarkable chocolate cake made by my friend Regina of Tuscan Cowgirl Dezerts.  Very Fun Food!


Here is a list of the wines we were sampling – many thanks to my guests who brought such lovely wines!
1999 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon
2002 Valley of the Moon Zinfandel
2005 Turley Pesenti Vineyard Zinfandel
2005 Ombra Montsant produced by La Cova dels Vins – a Grenache blend
2005 Summerland Duet (a grenache mourvedre blend)
2007 Sebastiani Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel
2007 Beringer Sbragia Limited Release Chardonnay
2007 Mayo Saralee’s Vineyard Viognier
Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs
Allimant-Laugner Cremant d’Alsace Rose

Great friends, great food, great wines!  Great holiday fun!  I can't wait to do it again next year!

1 comment:

Bon Vivant said...

The Turley Zin was insanely good!