Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Farmer’s Market



Today I walked down the Sonoma bike path from my little home to the Friday Farmer’s Market. There was no shortage of friendly people out walking and biking the path, and it was a beautiful morning, though getting hot already. The Market is a pleasant blend of very local produce and fruit, some other local food items such as artisan honey and cheese, some items from a bit farther afield (but still California) such as flavored olive oils (yum!) and olive blends, and finally, craft items such as bags, clothing, etc.

As is my habit, I browsed through all the items before selecting some beautiful chard from one small grower, and some Early Girl tomatoes and lovely orange sweet peppers (I failed to note the variety!) and pablano peppers from another grower.

I also stopped and chatted with the folks representing Organizing for America, with a booth supporting healthcare reform. This is an issue that’s very personal to me, as without the passage of a reform bill, I’m worried about finding affordable health insurance now that I’m self-employed!

On a tomato note, since I arrived I’ve been getting such delicious tomatoes both at the local farmers markets and at the supermarket. Yesterday I used one in a lunch of sweet onion, yellow split peas, vegetable broth, bulgar wheat, some spices (fennel seed, cumin seed, coriander seed) and some spinach. Very satisfying!

I can’t wait to use those peppers! I’ll keep you posted on my menus!

No comments: